Thursday, February 4, 2010

Behind the Mask

I am not really sure what to say about the story itself. It is definitely not the type of novel that I
enjoy reading. I personally want to group it with the likes of Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice simply because it revolves around the love life of the female lead. I found these to be pretty boring, but the saving grace in Behind the Mask for me was the "who is Jean" plot. I could care less about the love triangle that was going on.

One thing that I am not sure about is why Edward looked into the past of Jane once he left the estate. I do not recall that being discussed within the story, and I suppose that his curiosity over Jane's past is due to his infatuation with her. I suppose that this is a logical conclusion because he left all he ever new for a new place and until he got accustomed to his new surroundings that he would look wet his appetite by gathering information about the woman he was infatuated with.

Even though It's easy to focus on the negative in this novel, I am going to focus on the one positive that occurred. The transformation that Gerald has by the end of the novel get overshadowed by Jean's evil plot. While being the Master of the house, Gerald did not take part in the masterly duties that fell onto him once his father died. After falling for Jean however, he changed his ways and began to oversee his property. It is definitely not clear that he continued fulfilling his role as master of the house after Jean accomplished her goal.
I would like to believe that Gerald still takes care of his "master of the house" duties, especially now that Jean is his uncle's wife. Gerald should now realize why it is important to be active in his estate.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good point about Gerald's change for the better, Ken. In most of her books, Alcott treats laziness and inattention to duty as a serious flaw, and it does seem as though Gerald will now continue in his new role.

    ReplyDelete